Friday, August 7, 2009

Facebook Blogging

Facebook Blogging

All of these were written as Facebook status updates. They were ‘shared’ in succession, and were posted as rapidly as they could be finished and proofread. They are a skeleton sketch of what last Tuesday was like for me, and how I felt about it on Wednesday.

I woke up incredibly early and was dehydrated to such a degree that I wanted to cry. It was too early and no where was open except for a juice stand off the main market. I asked for paani. He poured me a glass of unfiltered water, and I just stared at it for 10 seconds before I said, '[omitted].' I finished it in one gulp and asked for another. I laid down on my mat and realized that it was so hot that I may not know if I have a fever.

I was in an auto driving to Gurgaon from Delhi. I understood that Delhi auto drivers won't cross the Haryana boarder, but he never fully explained his intentions. It's 13km to Gurgaon. He drives 10, and dropped me under a banyan tree. A police officer pointed to a speeding bus. He spoke as though I wanted that bus. He walked away after that. I walked along the side of the road, and stopped to admire a goat.

A stranger picked me up almost immediately after I parted company with the goat. It didn't take long for someone to spot me in full business attire 3km from anywhere. He dropped me off somewhere where I could catch a rickshaw. I rode behind a man on a bike for a mile. I reached my destination and had a meeting. Then another.

Then no one could help me find a cab so I walked the mile to where they all thought I could catch one. It was here, on semi deserted streets, in a city that I knew nothing about, going to meetings in which my entire modus is to duplicitously bully my way through to get information, that I found articulation for a question I had been meaning to ask: "How did I get lost in South Asia?"

I then got stuck in that city for another 10 hours. It cost me way too much to get home when I finally did. That said, I played pool with a Nepalese bar tender and ate the best chicken lollipops of my life. It made my night. That was all yesterday.


This is what I wrote when I was done.

“I'm outta here. I'm getting a milkshake.”

8/5/09



As annoying a breach in standard operating procedures as it might have been, I really enjoyed using Facebook in a way that it normally isn't. I don't recommend it for everyone and all occasions, but I say that having a hand in flexing the boundaries of one electronic medium with the information usually associated with another was fun for me. A small scale synthesis that got positive results. And this time it involved goats.

No comments:

Post a Comment